The gaming industry is booming these days, more and more people are coming toward game development.
If you are one of those people then you would need a powerful laptop to run the game development software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.
There are tons of laptops available in the market but it pretty difficult to pick the right one.
That’s why we have handpicked the best ones for you.
In this comprehensive guide, we will share some of the best laptops for game development in 2020. You will also learn how to pick the best laptop for game development. Let’s get into it.
How to pick the best laptop for game development.
When it comes to game development, you should get a laptop that is capable of handling heavy game development software.
So we are speaking of some very expensive laptop, think about it, you are looking into a laptop that has to handle the most demanding software inf the words.
Another thing to keep in mind, is: How long would you use the laptop? Usually, the rule is: The more you spend and the more the laptop will last.
You should consider the following component when picking up the laptop.
- CPU: The CPU market is pretty intense these days as there are many good quality CPUs available from both Intel and AMD. For Intel CPUs, we would recommend you should go for the 8th generation or higher. Also, make sure that you either get the Core i7 or i9. If you want AMD CPU, then you should get the Ryzen 7 Series CPU.
- GPU: You also get a lot of choices in the GPU market and you can go for any GPU but make sure that it should have at least 4 GB of VRAM. However, if you want to use the laptop for the long-term then you should get at least 6 GB of VRAM or higher.
- Display: Display is another very important factor. If you have a good budget then we would recommend the 4k display as it offers much better display quality. If you are on a budget then you should go for at least 1080p display.
- RAM: RAM is a very important component. When it comes to game development, your laptop should have at least 16 GB of RAM to handle the heavy software. You can also go for 32 GB RAM to make your laptop future proof.
- Storage: In 2020, every laptop must have SSD storage as it can significantly improve the performance. When buying the laptop for game development, you should try to get the laptop with SSD storage. If you are on a budget then you can get the combination of both SSD and HDD.
And here the best Laptops for Game Development
Now you know what features to look for in a laptop for game development. These are some of the best laptops you can get in 2020.
Lenovo Legion Y540 is a very powerful machine that comes with the latest specs.
Unlike other gaming laptops, Legion Y540 comes with a simple design that makes it suitable to use in the office as well as home. It comes with the 15.6-inch FHD display which ensures that you get the best image.
It is also equipped with Intel 9th generation I7-9750H and 24 GB of DDR4 RAM.
It also comes with 1 TB of HDD and 512 PCIe SSD. The laptop is also equipped with the latest GeForce GTX 1650 4GB which can easily handle the heavy game development software.
Overall, Legion Y540 is an excellent laptop for game development and you should consider it.
- CPU: Intel 9th generation I7-9750H Processor
- GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
- Display: 15.6-inch FHD display
- RAM: 24 GB
- Storage: 1 TB of HDD and 512 PCIe SSD
I also have to say that the price for this beast it’s quite acceptable:
ZenBook is a very popular laptop by Asus and it is known for its awesome performance.
The Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX581 comes with the 4K NanoEdge Bezel Touch display. It also features the secondary display which you can use for other purposes.
The laptop is also equipped with the powerful i9 processor and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 which are more than capable of handling any game development software.
Moreover, the latest specs also make this laptop future proof which is another plus.
If you are looking for a slim yet powerful laptop then Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX581 is a very solid option for you.
- CPU: Intel 9th generation I7-9750H Processor
- GPU: GeForce RTX 2060
- Display: 15.6-inch 4K display
- RAM: 16 GB
- Storage: 1 TB of NVMe SSD
Apple MacBook Pro is one of the best laptops you can get in 2020.
Apple MacBooks are preferred by the professionals out there because these machines are powerful and they are also very reliable. The new Apple MacBook Pro comes with the 16-inch Retina display with true tone technology.
Also, this Mac has an amazing design, and a very tinny power supply, In my old laptop (an MSI) I had a very huge power supply and trave with it is not easy at all
The new MacBook also features the powerful Intel Core i9 processor and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M GPU which can handle any game development task.
Apple has also reworked the thermal architectures to ensure that you get smooth performance even under heavy load. If you are looking for a powerful laptop for game development and budget isn’t an issue for you then Apple MacBook Pro is a very solid option for you.
- CPU: Intel 9th generation I7 Processor
- GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
- Display: 16-inch Retina display
- RAM: 16 GB
- Storage: 1 TB of Ultrafast SSD
I must say that I’ve also recently switched from my old laptop to the this new Macbook Pro the main reasons is that I work much better with the Mac, is more reliable and the OS usually gives a lot of less problem I simply have to open and start to work.
On the other side, with a windows machine, I had a lot of compatibility and driver problems.
Also, keep in mind that you want to develop for macOS or iOS you have to have a mac machine, som maybe this can be the right choice.
Ah, if you travel a lot like me… then I suggest the 13 inc mac.
Price: around 3000$
MSI GS75 Stealth is a premium game laptop that you can use for game development.
It comes with the large 17.3 inches, 144 Hz FHD display which provides the best color quality. It is also equipped with the latest GeForce RTX 2080 8G Max Q GPU which comes with the new ray-tracing technology.
The laptop is also capable of handling any resource-intensive software with its Intel Core i7 and 32 GB of RAM. It also comes with the 3 Fans and extensive cooling system which ensures that your laptop stays cool under immense usage. Overall, MSI GS75 is a very solid laptop and you can consider if you want the high-end laptop.
- CPU: Intel 8thth generation I7 Processor
- GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 8G Max Q
- Display: 17.3 inches, 144 Hz FHD display
- RAM: 32 GB RAM
- Storage: 512 GB NVMe SSD
These are some of the best laptops for game development.
These laptops come with the latest specs and top of the line features which make them ideal for game development.
You can pick any of the above-mentioned laptops to get the best performance.
Keep in mind that the more you spend and the more the laptop will last.
I personally decided to go with a MAC from an MSI, but this is just personal preference, and I mostly develop games for mobile and I don’t play games on my pc (I prefer consoles).
If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, visit our website for more useful guides.